Bronx High School for Writing and Communication Arts
1. MATERIALS: I will l always be prepared with the following equipment: 2 pens…..2 pencils, a binder with loose-leaves or a notebook. I understand that being unprepared can reduce my grade.
2. ATTENDANCE: I will not miss class unless it is unavoidable. I will bring an absence note to be kept on file, copy the notes, and make-up homework every time I am absent. I am aware that make-up exams will not be credited unless accompanied by a note from a parent/guardian. The State Education Department regulations require a minimum amount of instructional time. If I am absent more than 3 times in a trimester (unexcused), I may not receive credit for the class.
3. CUTTING: I understand that I am required to attend all classes on my program card/ schedule. If I do not “cut” a class for an entire trimester I will receive 5 points extra on my final grade. Losing 1 point off my final grade will penalize me for each time I “cut”. I will be given the opportunity to “work-off” each cut by doing extra work, determined by my subject teacher and done in a timely manner. I understand habitual cutting will result in a notation on the report card, phone calls home, pre-suspension hearing with my parents or even suspension for 5 days.
4. LATENESS: I understand that I am required to be in class and ready to work before the late bell rings 3 minutes after the hour. I must sign the Late Log whenever I come to class later than 5 minutes. If I come to class with a written pass, this will be noted in the Late Log. Lateness after 5 minutes without a written explanation will result in a 1-point reduction of my final grade. I will be given a timely opportunity to “work-off” each lateness by doing extra work, determined by my subject teacher and done in a timely manner. Habitual lateness will result in a notation on the report card, phone calls home, or a conference with my parents. If I am not late for an entire trimester I may receive 5 extra points on my final exam.
5. STARTING CLASS: When I arrive to class I will:
1. Begin copying the homework assignment, Aim, and Do Now from the board.
2. I will put the homework on the board if assigned to do so.
6. NOTEBOOKS: I will keep my notes in a separate loose-leaf section in an orderly manner with each lesson dated and numbered. I will put any information written on the board in my notebook. I understand that notes may be checked and graded at any time.
7. HOMEWORK: I will do homework every day. I understand that it will be checked every day and will be an important part of my grade. I will keep homework in a separate loose-leaf section. Homework will be dated and numbered. I will make up all homework that I will miss. I will correct any mistakes in my homework. Failure to do homework will reduce my grade.
8. CLASS PARTICIPATION: I will behave properly in class at all times and take part in the lesson. I know that disruptive behavior reduces the time the teacher has to help me and my classmates understand the lesson.
9. TESTS: I understand that I will have approximately two tests per marking period plus frequent quizzes. The questions will include Regents-type questions. If I pay attention in class, do my homework, and study at home, I will pass all exams.
10. MID-TERM PROJECTS: I understand that if I have a Mid-Term project instead of the Mid-Term Exam that this project must be completed prior to the end of the second marking period.
11. GRADING POLICY: Your report card is based on the following standards:
* Marking Periods Weights: MP1 MP2
50% 50% Grade Calculation:
* Report Card Grades
o Passing: 65, 70, 75, 80, and increment of 1 from 85-100
o Failing: 55 students might be entitled to credit recovery, and 40, truant, must repeat the entire course.